Wednesday, April 03, 2013

altered easter baskets

There is a good chance if you have kids, you probably have Easter baskets leftover from last weekend. I can't bear to get rid of a good basket (I use then to organize my supplies) but I also don't have much use for pastel baskets with big handles. So I went to work altering some Easter baskets in three different (and simple) ways...

The first thing I did was cut the handles off the baskets. A basket without handles is easier to use for storage in different places. 

Wrapping the surface with different materials is a simple and fast way to transform a basket. 

I used upcycled fabric, braided it and wrapped it around the basket, using hot glue as I wrapped.
Cord (ribbon, fabric, string, yarn or anything that can be wrapped) will work!
Covering a basket with fabric is just about the easiest way to make it new. All you need is a piece of fabric (an old scarf, t-shirt, scrap of fabric) and some hot glue.




With a little spray paint you can easily alter a basket. Keep it plain or add details. I used a white paint pen to add details. 


11 comments:

aimee said...

What a good idea they look great xxx

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea - thank you :)

Unknown said...

What a good way to recycle those Easter baskets! Even if you don't have some left some the weekend I bet there are on a good sale right now! Thanks for sharing

Obat gula darah said...

many thanks for the info,,,,,,,,,

maeve said...

Terrific ideas for those Easter baskets! Particularly like the black and white painted basket. I also have a question and cannot find an email for you so: I purchased your book SEW WILD when it came out and I LOVE it!!! The DVD is in a "sticky sealed" clear plastic envelope in the back. When I pulled my DVD out of the plastic, apparently some of the "sticky" adhered to it and messed it up. Do you have a suggestion as to how to remove the sticky stuff safely so it doesn't stall and skip when I am trying to watch it? Thanks so much for your help!

obat kanker payudara said...

thank for the information,

Madeline Rains said...

Very cool. I've accumulated many over the years that are hanging out in my attic.

Debra Kapellakis said...

I like them, thank you for sharing.

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

WOW~~~ ; )

Love your window seat too. I love coming to your blog, you are such a positive inspiration.

xo
Monika
artist in Canada

studioGypsy said...

you are brilliant as usual, alisa!! :) especially love the braided fabric one!! :) xoxo

schulmanart said...

this is really clever! I especially like the black and white one-- and I was like duh, of course cut off the handles, why didn't I think of that?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails